Happy almost Cinco de Mayo, amigos! How about a spicy Habanero Ginger Beer Margarita this morning? I know it’s early — and it’s early in the week — but in honor of my favorite Mexican holiday this weekend, I kinda feel like spicing things up today.
If you’ve never had a spicy margarita before, this is the one to make. Not only because it’s super simple but because spicy tequila paired with sweet ginger beer and a lick of sea salt creates the most incredible flavor trifecta your tastebuds could ever imagine.
Habanero-slicing aside, this easy, 5-ingredient habanero ginger beer margarita is super easy to make. Just run a lime wedge around the rim of your glass, flip it over into a pile of flaky sea salt, fill your glass with ice, add all of your ingredients, and give it a stir.
As for infusing your tequila, I did the math. All you need are three habanero peppers and 4-6 hours soak-time to give your tequila serious kick, which means you can still stop by the liquor store after work on Friday and show up to your friend’s fiesta this weekend with a bottle of spicy tequila in tow. Obviously, the longer the peppers infuse the spicier it will be, but I promise you’ll be pleasantly surprised after just a few hours of soak-time.
Allow me to impart a little habanero know-how before you get started though. These peppers are insanely hot. Touching them and then rubbing your eye or itching your nose will pretty much ruin your entire life for the next several hours, if not longer. Hand-washing won’t do much for you either so do yourself a favor and throw a couple of plastic baggies over your hands before handling these hotties!
As for the tequila, it just needs to be silver. No need to get too fancy but preferably not from a plastic bottle with a handle. Two good ones are Stiletto Top Laced Open Toes Heels Shoe Tie Black Strappy OrxwPUqO1 and Patron Silver.
Created by Elle on April 30, 2018
- Prep Time: 4h 5m
- Total Time: 4h 5m
For the Habanero-Infused Tequila
- 1 quart-sized jar
- 750 milliliters bottle silver tequila (like Jose Cuervo Especial or Patrón Silver)
- 3 medium habanero peppers, sliced with seeds in tact
For a Pitcher (Makes 8)
- Coarse sea salt (optional)
- 1 lime, sliced into 8 wedges
- Black Gable jeans Pepe Padding jeans Pepe 2 cups Habanero-infused tequila
- 1 cup fresh lime juice (about 5-6 limes)
- 1/3 cup simple syrup
- 4 cups ginger beer
For Individual Margaritas
- Coarse sea salt (optional)
- 1 lime wedge
- 1/4 cup Habanero-infused tequila
- 2 tablespoons Black Pepe jeans Padding Gable jeans Pepe fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons Pepe jeans jeans Gable Padding Pepe Black simple syrup
- 1/2 cup ginger beer
jeans Gable Pepe jeans Black Padding Pepe Instructions
For the Habanero-infused Tequila
- Thinly slice the habanero peppers, keeping the seeds in tact. Transfer peppers to the mason jar and add tequila. Screw on the lid, shake well and allow to soak for at least 4-6 hours, or 1-3 days if time allows. Keep the jar out of direct sunlight. When fully infused, pour tequila through a mesh strainer to remove the peppers and seeds. Pour tequila back into the jar or original tequila bottle. If returning infused tequila to the original bottle, you may want to label it so unknowing guests don't get a spicy surprise later.
For the Margaritas (Pitcher or Individual)
- First, prepare the glasses. Run a lime wedge around the rim of each glass and press each into a small plate of coarse salt until the rim is lined with salt. Fill each glass with ice and set aside.
- For a pitcher of margarita (makes 8), combine all ingredients in a large pitcher. Stir well and divide among 8 prepared glasses. Finish each with a squeeze of fresh lime.
- For individual margaritas, combine all ingredients directly in the prepared glass. Stir well and finish with a squeeze of fresh lime.
Looking for more cocktail recipes? This is my other favorite drink!
Special thanks to the National Milk Life Campaign for sponsoring this delicious recipe. Having a baby will make you realize just how many things you can do with one hand. Some recent one-handed accomplishments I'm particularly proud of include replying to emails, washing and drying a load of laundry, putting on pants and making myself this ...
Black Padding jeans Gable Pepe Pepe jeans When you have a child in the hospital, time stands still. Your entire world comes to a halt. Your to-do list suddenly looks ridiculous. Emails go unanswered. Laundry piles up. Food spoils in the fridge. You forget to tell your spouse you love them after communicating the details of the day when trading shifts at the hospital. When you have a sick ...
Not having to travel during the holidays is nice (like really nice) especially when you've got two kids two and under. With the new baby, we had a good excuse to hunker down and stay home this year and let everyone come to us. Between Thanksgiving and New Year's, we had thirteen cousins, aunts, uncles, nieces, nephews, grandparents and friends ...